KC Royals Potential Trading Partners: Texas
By Beau Eastes
As the hot stove season heats up, multiple teams have emerged as potential trade partners with the Royals.
Whether it’s part of a packaged deal or in separate moves, Kansas City Royals reliever Wade Davis and center fielder Lorenzo Cain – both of whom are free agents after the 2017 – have generated an enormous amount of trade buzz in the first days of the Winter Meetings.
The Texas Rangers in particular have emerged as a possible landing spot for Cain.
Here’s a look at what the Rangers could be offering:
- Jurickson Profar, 23, SS/2B/3B: The one-time top prospect is a man without a position in Texas, with Rougned Odor at second, Elvis Andrus at short and the ageless-wonder Adrian Beltre at third. Profar hit just .239 in 90 games last year, but he’s still just 23 and he’s never had the luxury of being plugged into one spot in the lineup. If he came over to the Royals, he would likely be the front-runner to start at second this season and possibly at short in 2018 if Alcides Escobar leaves via free agency.
More from Kings of Kauffman
- KC Royals Winter Meetings Tracker: Expectations met
- KC Royals Winter Meetings Tracker: Day 3 update
- KC Royals Winter Meetings Tracker: Day 2 update
- Winter Meetings: Any blockbusters for the KC Royals?
- Grading the 2022 KC Royals: The versatile Nate Eaton
- Joey Gallo, 23, 3B/LF: No stranger to tape-measuring home runs, Gallo posted back-to-back 40 home run seasons in the minors in 2013 and 2014. He’s tailed off a bit the past two years, recording 29 homers across three levels – including six in the American League with the Rangers – in 2015 and 26 bombs last year in 119 games, almost all of them with Triple-A Round Rock. Gallo has been one of the most sought-after powering hitting prospects in the game the past three years, but he has yet to win a job at the big league level.
- Yohander Mendez, 21, LHP: Signed for $1.5 million out of Venezuela in 2011, Mendez went 12-3 across three minor league levels last season, ending the year with a 2.19 ERA in 21 starts. Mendez, who will be 22 on Opening Day, held hitters to a .184 average while striking out 113 over 111 innings.
Next: KC Royals Trade Partners: St. Louis Cardinals
Next up, a look a the Cardinals and Cubs, both of whom are rumored to be chasing Wade Davis.