On a day when the Royals needed help from their starting rotation, Danny Duffy answered the call.
He went eight shutout innings before giving up a leadoff home run in the ninth. Joe Blanton came in to finish things up. Duffy’s final line was 8 IP/6 H/4 SO/1 BB/1 ER.
More from Kings of Kauffman
- Grading the 2022 KC Royals: Infielder Nicky Lopez
- New pitching coach looks like a good fit for KC Royals
- Grading the 2022 KC Royals: Second baseman Michael Massey
- KC Royals Free Agent Hunt: Look to Texas for help?
- KC Royals Hot Stove News: Trades, signings, more
The Royals scored in the top of the first when back to back singles by Alcides Escobar and Mike Moustakas put runners at first and third with no outs. After a fly-out by Cain to center field, Eric Hosmer singled to score Escobar and make the count 1-0 in favor of the Royals.
They made the score 2-0 in the sixth inning when Lorenzo Cain did what Lorenzo Cain does and hit a leadoff home run. They notched two runs in the seventh inning when Paulo Orlando followed up an Alex Rios single with a two-run homer to make the score 4-0 while Duffy mostly cruised and let his defense help him out before that solo home run in the ninth.
The Royals come home to face the Pittsburgh Pirates in a series that begins tomorrow evening.