On the heels of three game sweep at the hands of the White Sox, Kansas City hosts Washington for the first time since the Nationals moved to our nation’s capital. The Royals will look to end their five game losing streak.
Royals fans will get their first ever look at the Washington Nationals and Jayson Werth/Bryce Harper this weekend at Kauffman Stadium. Photo Credit: David Banks-USA TODAY Sports
Series Preview –
As mentioned KC has lost five straight and are just 2-8 in the last ten games. The Nats come in having won three of four at the Cubs this week and are 6-4 over their last ten. Both teams had 19-5 spurts following the All-Star Game.
Franchise Series History –
2010 was the last time the two franchises met with Washington taking 2-of-3 against Kansas City at Nationals Park. Against the Expos/Nationals the Royals are just 2-7 with only three series between the teams. Last time the franchise visited the K was 2004 when they were still in Montreal.
Probable Pitching Matchups –
Friday, August 23 (7:10 pm/FSKC &610 Sports): Gio Gonzalez (7-6, 3.38) v. Bruce Chen (5-1, 2.20)
– Chen suffered his first loss Sunday in Detroit where he allowed six runs on eight hits
– Bruce pitched for the Expos in 2002 going 2-3 with a 6.99 ERA in five starts before being dealt to the Reds.
Saturday, August 24 (6:10 pm/FSKC &610 Sports): Jordan Zimmerman (14-7, 3.37) v. Wade Davis (6-9, 5.43)
– Davis is looking to bounce back from his bad start Saturday making it only 3.2 innings, allowing four runs
– This start will compete his tour of the NL East after starts against Atlanta, Miami, New York and Philadelphia. He’s 2-0 with a 3.27 ERA in 22 innings in interleague this year
Sunday, August 25 (1:10 pm/FSKC &610 Sports): Dan Haren (8-11, 4.64) v. Ervin Santana (8-7, 3.13)
– Ervin is looking for his first win since August 4th in New York against the Mets, he’s got two no decisions and a loss since that start
– In four previous starts the “Magic Man” is 0-0 in three starts with a 3.10 ERA in 20.1 innings
2010 Results –
These teams don’t have a lot of familiarity against one against another with the last series coming June 21-23, 2010. Bruce Chen lost the opener 2-1 with former Royal Anthony Lerew taking the game two loss 4-3. The series finally saw another two former Royals contributing with Brian Bannister picking up a 1-0 victory against Stephen Strasburg with Joakim Soria getting the save.
Fox Sports Kansas City brings you all four games between the two teams with Ryan Lefebvre and Rex Hudler on the broadcast. Joel Goldberg and Royals Hall of Famer Jeff Montgomery host Royals Live before and after the game. As always every game can be heard on the Royals Radio Network (610 Sports Radio in KC) Royals Hall of Famer/2007 Ford C. Frick Award winner Denny Matthews being joined in the booth by Steve Physioc and Steve Stewart.
All-Time Results v. Montreal/Washington – Expos/Nationals 7-2
August 23-25, Kauffman Stadium
Current AL Central and Wildcard Standings for August 23 –
GB = Games Back
AL Central: Detroit (74-53), Cleveland (69-58/5 GB), Kansas City (64-62/9.5 GB), Minnesota (56-70/17.5 GB), Chicago (52-74/21.5 GB)
Wildcard Standings (Top 2 make playoffs): Rays (72-53/+1.5), Athletics (71-55/-), Indians (69-58/2.5 GB), Orioles (68-58/3 GB), Yankees (68-59/3.5 GB), Royals (64-62/7 GB), Mariners (59-67/12 GB), Blue Jays (57-71/15 GB), Twins (56-70/15 GB), Angels (55-71/16 GB), White Sox (52-74/19 GB), Astros (41-85/30 GB)
Game Notes –