Royals at Rays – Series Preview
Kansas City takes to the road after a 7-2 homestand against Minnesota, Houston and Detroit. The Royals will begin their seven game trip with four in St. Pete than finish in Cleveland against the Indians.
Ervin Santana threw four excellent innings against Tampa Bay in May but the game was never official due to rain/snow falling in Kansas City which lead to the game being called. Photo Credit: Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports
Series Preview –
The Rays are 4-4 and are coming off losing two of three against the Red Sox at the Trop which includes a marathon 14 inning game on Monday. In the teams met April 30-May 2 with the final game being called due to a snow storm with the Royals leading in the fourth. This is the only trip to the Trop KC will make in 2013 which has been a house of horror since the Rays entered the league in 1998.
Probable Pitching Matchups –
Thursday, June 13 (6:10 pm): Ervin Santana (4-5, 2.99) v. Jeremy Hellickson (4-2, 5.18)
– Santana couldn’t get cooperation from mother nature when he through against Tampa in May leading when the snow came and game was lost
– The Magic Man is 5-6 with a 5.47 ERA in his career against TB
Friday, June 14 (6:10 pm): Luis Mendoza (1-3, 4.19) v. Matt Moore (8-2, 3.78)
– The Dozer threw seven scoreless innings on Sunday against Houston allowing just four hits
– Mendoza is 1-1 away from the K with his lone win coming in Anaheim a month ago (5/13)
Saturday, June 15 (3:10 pm): Jeremy Guthrie (7-3, 3.60) v. Alex Cobb (6-2, 2.95)
– Guthrie picked up the win against Detroit on Monday going 6.1 innings in a 3-2 win
– He’s won his last two starts after losing three of his four previous starts
Sunday, June 16 (12:40 pm): Wade Davis (3-5, 5.37) v. Roberto Hernandez (4-6, 4.91)
– Threw well against the Tigers going 6.2 innings but picked up his second straight no-decision
– Davis last won a game May 15 at Anaheim against the Angels
2013 Results –
The Royals won 8-2 and 9-8 on April 30/May 1 when the teams met the series finale was “snowed” out in the fourth inning so the teams will meet again. James Shields and Bruce Chen picked up wins in the two game sweep.
All four games can be seen on Fox Sports Kansas City with Ryan Lefebvre and Rex Hudler on the call, Joel Goldberg and Royals Hall of Famer Jeff Montgomery will be on the pre/postgame show. Fans can listen to Steve Physioc and Steve Stewart on 610 Sports Radio all four games as well.
2013 Schedule/Results v. Rays – KC leads 2-0
April 30-May 2, Kauffman Stadium – Kansas City won 8-2 and 9-8 with game three being snowed out
June 13-16 – Tropicana Field
Game Notes –