Ryan Freel’s Excellent Adventure


On December 9th, 2008 OF/IF-Ryan Freel, 3B-Brandon Waring, and 2B-Justin Turner were traded to the Baltimore Orioles.  In exchange, the Reds received C-Ramon Hernandez and cash.  At the time no one could have anticipated that it was just the beginning of Ryan Freel’s Most Excellent Adventure.

On April 20th, while sliding back into 1st base, Freel was hit above the ear by a pickoff throw.  He was taken to a hospital for tests, including a CT scan, and stayed overnight.

On April 21st, he was placed on the 15-day DL, though he didn’t feel he needed to go on the DL.

On April 27th, he was supposed to begin his rehab assignment, but he didn’t.

On Tuesday April 28th it was announced that he wouldn’t begin the rehab assignment until Friday May 1st.  Freel was quoted as saying, “I still believe in change. I don’t think I fit here,” Freel said. “I know it’s really … hurting my career as far as getting a job next year.”

He was eligible to come off the DL on May 6th, but his rehab assignment was extended two extra days.

On Friday May 8th, Freel was activated from the DL just in time to be traded to the Chicago Cubs in exchange for OF-Joey Gathright.  Joey has been on an excellent adventure of his own this season, but perhaps that is a post for another day.

On Saturday May 9th, Freel was expected to make his Cubs debut, but was scratched from the lineup due to a tight hamstring.

On Wednesday May 13th Freel finally made his first appearance as a Cub at 3B.

Two weeks later on May 27th he left a game early due to a strained hamstring.  It is believed, and you can’t make this stuff up, that he injured it sliding back into first base.

On May 28th he found himself back on the DL.

Monday, June 15th Freel began his rehab assignment and was activated from the DL on June 25th.

On July 2nd the Cubs designated Ryan Freel for assignment after they had acquired IF-Jeff Baker from the Rockies.

On July 6th, the Royals acquired Freel for cash and a player to be named later.

On August 6th, the Royals designated him to make room for Kyle Davies.

On August 13th, Freel was released by the Royals.

On August 28th, the Texas Rangers signed him to a minor league contract and assigned him to their Triple-A team in Oklahoma City.

On August 31st, after just 2 games with Oklahoma City, the Rangers released Ryan Freel.

Is the adventure over, or is there more in store for Mr. Freel?  Stay tuned to find out.