After a 3-6 road trip through Anaheim, Oakland and Houston the Royals return home for a six game homestand which begins against the Angels. These two teams met just last week and was the only series Kansas City won on the three city trip.
Series Preview –
Just like a week ago KC came into its series against Los Angeles on a slide which they’ll do again when the teams open their four game set. The Angels have won four in a row as they start a six game road trip tonight.
Probable Pitching Matchups –
Thursday, May 23 (7:10 pm): Joe Blanton (0-7, 6.62) v. Ervin Santana (3-3, 2.77)
– Santana faces his former team for the first time since KC acquired him over the fall
– In his last start he pitched well enough to win in Oakland but was on the wrong side of a 2-1 game
Friday, May 24 (7:10 pm): Jason Vargas (3-3, 3.55) v. Luis Mendoza (1-2, 5.50)
– The Dozer pitched well enough in his last start going six innings allowing three runs but only two earned
– Over his last three starts he’s gone at six innings after a string of starts that he hadn’t gone longer than five innings
Saturday, May 25 (1:10 pm): TBA v. Jeremy Guthrie (5-2, 3.49)
– Guthrie enters this start having lost two straight decisions after his club record unbeaten streak
– Last week in Anaheim, Guthrie went seven innings allowing five runs on 11 hits in KC’s 6-2 defeat
Sunday, May 26 (1:10 pm): Jerome Williams (3-1, 2.53) v. Wade Davis (3-3, 5.91)
– Davis started on Tuesday in Houston but didn’t factor in the decision only going five innings and allowing three runs before the Royals staged the comeback
– Wade is 2-0 against the Angels in games played with three starts his ERA is 3.92 versus the Halos
2013 Results –
As mentioned these teams have met once already this season with KC taking two-of-three games just last week. This four games series will be the last time these two teams see one another in the regular season.
All four games are on Fox Sports Kansas City with Steve Physioc and Rex Hudler with Joel Goldberg handling in-game reports plus the pre/postgame show. On 610 Sports Radio with be Royals Hall of Famer Denny Matthews, Ryan Lefebvre and Steve Stewart.
2013 Schedule v. Angels – KC 2-1
May 13-15, Angels Stadium: Kansas City wins series 2-1
May 23-26, Kauffman Stadium
Game Notes –