It’s a new year and it is 1 degree above zero in balmy Kansas City as I write this. There is a solid 2-inch layer of ice and snowpack on the lower third of my driveway, after shoveling, and we have more snow on the way later this week. I can’t think of a better thing to do than check in on the Royals in the Caribbean.
Unfortunately the Dominican, Mexican, and Venezeulan Winter Leagues have wrapped up their regular seasons and their playoffs are under way. Only the Puerto Rico Winter League is still in action, and I haven’t come up with an efficient way to track the performance of the Royals’ players during the playoffs. So I don’t know how much of the playoffs I will wind up tracking.
Puerto Rico Winter League:
- RHP-Mario Santiago (24) [Carolina] 9 G, 39.1 IP, 41 H, 6 BB, 27 SO
- 2B-Irving Falu (26) [Mayaguez] 28 G, 98 AB, 0.306/.364/.367, 17 R, 4 2B, 1 3B, 7 RBI, 9 BB, 11 SO, 5 SB
- C-Fernando Cruz (19) [Ponce] 2 G, 4 AB, 0.000/.000/.000, 1 SO
- SS-Mike Aviles (28) [Ponce] No Stats
- 2B-Fernando Garcia (21) [Arecibo] 2 G, 0 AB
- OF-Alex Llanos (19) [Arecibo] 5 G, 3 AB, 0.333/.333/.667, 3 R, 2 SO
Llanos appeared in 1 game and scored a run since the last update, but did not get an AB.
Mario Santiago made one start and one bullpen appearance since last week’s update. In his start, he went 7.0 innings while allowing 4 hits, 1 unearned run, 1 walk, and 5 strike outs. His relief appearance was a hitless inning with one walk and one strike out.
I’m hoping to get another post up tonight about a player or two that is still available on the open market. However, I’m exhausted, I’ve been dealing with a cold for over a week, and my wife just subjected me to The Bachelor on TV. All those things may force me to end my night with an “early” bedtime.