Royals: Looking back on the 2015 World Series, Game 4

(Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)
(Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images) /
4 of 4
Kansas City Royals, Wade Davis
(Photo by Elsa/Getty Images) /

With the Kansas City Royals behind by one, they had to quickly make some moves before they ran out of time.

In the top of the eighth, Tyler Clippard took the mound to pitch to the Kansas City Royals. The Royals started the inning well. With one out, both Zobrist and Cain drew walks to get on base. The Mets quickly replaced Clippard with Jeurys Familia.

Fortunately, Familia was unable to stop the rolling Royals. Eric Hosmer reached first on an error but allowed Zobrist to score and Cain to reach third. Mike Moustakas and Perez both followed up with singles, batting in Cain and Hosmer, respectively. The Royals were stopped short when Gordon batted into a ground ball double play, but the damage had been done and the Royals were up 5-3.

For the bottom of the eighth, the Royals brought in closer Wade Davis, hoping for a quick inning. Paulo Orlando also replaced Alex Rios in right field at this time. Davis provided a quick three up three down inning to take the game into the ninth.

The ninth inning was a fairly quiet inning, but Davis had Royals fans on the edge of their seats. Hansel Robles was in for the Mets to pitch the top of the ninth and he delivered recording three outs, with two strikeouts.

Davis continued pitching for the Royals but looked as though he may give up the lead. After a Strikeout to David Wright, Davis gave up a single to both Murphy and Yoenis Cespedes. With the winning run at the plate, Davis pitched Lucas Duda into a double play to end Game 4.

Breaking down Ryan O'Hearn's 2019 season month-by-month. dark. Next

Though it may not have been the prettiest game, the Royals did exactly what they needed to do. They were now up in the series 3-1 and in a good position to return to Kansas City not to play, but as World Series Champions. Before they could claim the prize, though, the Royals had to withstand one last battle in New York the following night, as Edinson Volquez faced Matt Harvey on the mound.