8. Peter Moylan Adds Ground Ball Outs To Bullpen Arsenal
The Kansas City Royals wanted 37-year-old reliever Peter Moylan due to his ability to get ground ball outs. The KC Royals had plenty of guys that could get strikeouts before this season, such as Kelvin Herrera, Wade Davis, and Luke Hochever. However, what they lacked was a ground-ball specialist who could escape a jam by getting a double-play grounder.
More from Kings of Kauffman
- KC Royals Rumors: Is a monster move in the cards?
- KC Royals Free Agent Hunt: 3 Tampa Bay pitchers
- Grading the 2022 KC Royals: The $25 million man
- KC Royals Winter Meetings Tracker: Expectations met
- KC Royals Winter Meetings Tracker: Day 3 update
Enter Peter Moylan.
The side-arm throwing Moylan began the season as a middle-reliever. However, when the bullpen crashed in July, Moylan took on a seventh inning role. He’s been fairly effective with a 3.56 ERA in 30.1 innings pitched in 2016.
Now that Joakim Soria is on a roll (7.0 consecutive innings without allowing a run), and rookie Matt Strahm is dominating (1.08 ERA in 8.1 innings pitched), Moylan is back to more of a middle-relief role. But, Moylan still brings that ground ball dimension which can become key in tight games down the stretch.
As a cheap bullpen signing, Moylan has been a good fit for the KC Royals this season.
Next: No. 7