Royals Report: 5 Things About Mini-Sweep In St. Louis
3) Frustrated Cardinals Manager Mike Matheny Got Tossed
In the sixth inning, the Cardinals appeared to turn an inning ending double play. However, first base umpire Jordan Baker decided to use an umpire’s review to check the video.
More from KC Royals News
- KC Royals Free Agent Hunt: 3 Tampa Bay pitchers
- Grading the 2022 KC Royals: The $25 million man
- KC Royals Winter Meetings Tracker: Expectations met
- KC Royals Winter Meetings Tracker: Day 3 update
- KC Royals Winter Meetings Tracker: Day 2 update
After both teams had left the field and the TV broadcasts had gone to commercial, Baker called both teams back because review showed that Salvador Perez had beaten the throw.
Matheny came out from the Cardinals dugout, angry that the call had taken so long. Pitcher Mike Leake had to return after cooling down for at least two to three minutes after his last pitch.
Of course, Matheny had quite a few things to be unhappy about. The Cardinals were riding a seven game home losing streak and were trailing the KC Royals 3-1 in the sixth. Baker’s call gave the Royals another chance to add to their lead.
Add in that the Cardinals had committed three errors on the day, and each one of them had aided a KC Royals score, and Mike Matheny was a very unhappy camper. I’m sure part of that rage ended up getting directed at Baker.
Next: Kendrys Morales