4) Edinson Volquez Ejected
Kansas City Royals starter Edinson Volquez got ejected from the game in the third inning for disputing ball and strike calls from the dugout.
More from Kings of Kauffman
- KC Royals Rumors: Is a monster move in the cards?
- KC Royals Free Agent Hunt: 3 Tampa Bay pitchers
- Grading the 2022 KC Royals: The $25 million man
- KC Royals Winter Meetings Tracker: Expectations met
- KC Royals Winter Meetings Tracker: Day 3 update
Volquez, who is from the Dominican Republic like Yordano Ventura, presumably didn’t like the calls his countryman was getting from home plate umpire Tim Timmons. It was only the third time in his career that Volquez had been ejected from a game.
The fact that Edison Volquez got upset enough to get thrown out when he wasn’t even starting shows the close relationship the KC Royals have with each other. Yordano Ventura is in a position where he can’t stick up for himself after his suspension. Along with multiple blow-ups with opposing teams last season, Ventura is building a reputation as a “bad boy” around the league.
Thus, it’s very likely that Volquez voiced what Ventura could not with respect to what appeared to be a rather inconsistent strike zone from Timmons.