2. October 25, 2014: World Series Game 5, Giants vs. Royals
The Cinderella Royals won the AL Wild Card game with a miraculous comeback from a four-run, eighth-inning deficit and tore through the AL playoffs by sweeping the Angels and Orioles.
More from Kings of Kauffman
- KC Royals Rumors: Is a monster move in the cards?
- KC Royals Free Agent Hunt: 3 Tampa Bay pitchers
- Grading the 2022 KC Royals: The $25 million man
- KC Royals Winter Meetings Tracker: Expectations met
- KC Royals Winter Meetings Tracker: Day 3 update
Heading into Game 4 of the World Series against the San Francisco Giants, the KC Royals had won two straight and threatened to take control of the Series 3-1 with a win in San Francisco. The Royals jumped out to an early 4-1 lead in the fifth inning, with six outs to go before their dreaded HDH bullpen trio could finish the game.
Unfortunately, the Giants knocked out starter Jason Vargas in the fifth on their way to tying the game 4-4. San Francisco took charge of the game in the 6th on Pablo Sandoval‘s bases-loaded single with two outs against rookie reliever Brandon Finnegan.
San Francisco scored three runs in the 6th and four in the 7th in an 11-4 win that evened up the 2014 World Series at two games apiece.
Next: October 29, 2014