With the 17th pick in the 2014 Major League Baseball draft, the Kansas City Royals chose Brandon Finnegan, LHP from Texas Christian University. Finnegan is a 5’11”, 184lb collegiate.
Finnegan had been previously drafted in 2011 by the Texas Rangers. He has had shoulder injuries but appears to be healthy now. Finnegan throws in the low 90s, and as high as 97. His fastball shows good life, his slider is above average and he has a good change up.
He was on the 2013 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team and was All-Big 12 Honorable Mention in 2013.
He went 4-5 with a 3.47 ERA in 2012, and 0-8 with a 3.18 ERA in 2013. In 141 innings, he only surrendered three home runs in those two years.
The Royals also own the 28th, 40th and 56th picks.
TOP PICKS IN 2014 DRAFT
1. Brady Aiken, LHP, Houston Astros
2. Tyler Kolek, RHP, Miami Marlins
3. Carlos Rondon, LHP, Chicago White Sox
4. Kyle Schwarber, C, Chicago Cubs
5. Nick Gordon, SS, Minnesota Twins
6. Alex Jackson, OF, Seattle Mariners
7. Philadelphia Phillies, RHP, Aaron Nola
8. Colorado Rockies, LHP, Kyle Freeland
9. Toronto Blue Jays, RHP, Jeff Hoffman
10. New York Mets, OF, Michael Conforto
11. Toronto Blue Jays, C, Max Pentecost
12. Milwaukee Brewers, LHP, Kodi Medeiros
13. San Diego Padres, SS, Trea Turner
14. San Francisco Giants, RHP, Tyler Beede
15. Los Angeles Angels, LHP, Sean Newcomb
16. Arizona Diamondbacks, RHP, Touki Toussaint
17. Kansas City Royals, LHP, Brandon Finnegan