With the 58th pick in the 2014 Major League draft, the Kansas City Royals chose Scott Blewett, 18, RHP, out of Baker High School in New York, selecting their third pitcher in their top four picks. Blewett had arm troubles and may have dropped in the draft for lack of showing. At 6’6″, 210lbs., the Royals took another big-body pitcher (see Griffin, below) with high upside.
He throws on a steep downhill plane, throws a fastball in the mid-90s, and needs work on his breaking ball pitches.
He is said to have sound delivery for his youth.
With the 40th pick, the Royals chose Chase Vellot, C, out of St. Thomas More High School in Louisiana. He is 6′, 210lb. He hit .365-12-32 for his high school in his senior year. He has excellent power and quick bat speed.
With the 28th pick, the Royals chose Foster Griffin, 18, as the second left handed pitcher in a row they picked. He is 6’5″, 195lbs from The First Academy in Florida. Griffin is very projectable as a starter, and the Royals will count on him to add strength and velocity as he fills out. His fastball hits 90mph. He has an above average curve in the 75mph range and is said to have good pace with his delivery. His changeup is very good.
With the 17th pick, the Royals chose Brandon Finnegan, LHP from Texas Christian University. Finnegan was previously drafted in 2011 by the Texas Rangers. He has had shoulder injuries but appears to be healthy now. Finnegan throws in the low 90s, and as high as 97. His fastball shows good life, his slider is above average and he has a good change up.
He as on the 2013 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team and was All-Big 12 Honorable Mention in 2013.
He went 4-5 with a 3.47 ERA in 2012, and 0-8 with a 3.18 ERA in 2013. In 141 innings, he only surrendered three home runs in those two years.
TOP PICKS IN 2014 DRAFT
1. Brady Aiken, LHP, Houston Astros
2. Tyler Kolek, RHP, Miami Marlins
3. Carlos Rondon, LHP, Chicago White Sox
4. Kyle Schwarber, C, Chicago Cubs
5. Nick Gordon, SS, Minnesota Twins
6. Alex Jackson, OF, Seattle Mariners
7. Philadelphia Phillies, RHP, Aaron Nola
8. Colorado Rockies, LHP, Kyle Freeland
9. Toronto Blue Jays, RHP, Jeff Hoffman
10. New York Mets, OF, Michael Conforto
11. Toronto Blue Jays, C, Max Pentecost
12. Milwaukee Brewers, LHP, Kodi Medeiros
13. San Diego Padres, SS, Trea Turner
14. San Francisco Giants, RHP, Tyler Beede
15. Los Angeles Angels, LHP, Sean Newcomb
16. Arizona Diamondbacks, RHP, Touki Toussaint
17. Kansas City Royals, LHP, Brandon Finnegan
18. Washington Nationals, RHP, Erick Fedde
19. Cincinnati Reds, RHP, Nick Howard
20. Tampa Bay Rays, 1B, Casey Gillaspie
21. Cleveland Indians, OF, Bradley Zimmer
22. Los Angeles Dodgers, RHP, Grant Homes
23. Detroit Tigers, OF, Defek Hill
24. Pittsburg Pirates, SS, Cole Tucker
25. Oakland A’s, 3B, Matt Chapman
26. Boston Red Sox, SS, Michael Chavis
27. St. Louis Cardinals, RHP, Luke Weaver
28, Kansas City Royals, Foster Griffin
29. Cincinnati Reds. SS, Lex Blandino
30. Texas Rangers, RHP, Luis Ortiz
31. Cleveland Indians, LHP, Justus Sheffield
32. Atlanta Braves, OF, Braxton Davidson
33. Boston Red Sox, RHP, Michael Kopech
34. St. Louis Cardinals, RHP, Jack Flaherty
35. Colorado Rockies, 2B, forrest Wall
36. Miami Marlins, C, Blake Anderson
37. Houston Astros, OF, Derek Fisher
38. Cleveland Indians, OF, Mike Papi
39. Pittsburg Pirates, OF, Conner Joe
40. Kansas City Royals, C, Chase Vallot
58. Kansas City Royals, RHP, Scott Blewett