Last night Kansas City (83-75) was eliminated from the postseason and will now just play out the string on the Southside of Chicago this weekend against the White Sox (62-96). While Royals fans woke up disappointed being in the playoff discussion until September 25 and having a winning season is reason to hold your heads high.
Series Preview –
KC dropped two of three in Seattle against the Mariners which proved to be the final nail in the 2013 coffin for the team. Chicago returns home after getting swept in Cleveland by the Indians, the Tribe lit up the White Sox bullpen multiple nights.
Franchise Series History –
The Royals trail 331-356 all-time to the Southsiders and 144-198 in Chicago which includes a record of 74-106 at the “Cell”. Kansas City has posted a 4-2 record this season though on the Southside.
Probable Pitching Matchups –
Thursday, September 26 (7:10 pm/FSKC &610 Sports): Jeremy Guthrie (14-12, 4.09) v. Andre Rienzo (2-2, 5.04)
– Makes his 33rd start of the season and 19th versus Chicago in 20 outings he’s 6-7 with a 3.51 ERA
– On the road Guthrie is 5-7 with a 3.81 ERA while 9-5 at the K and 4.38 ERA
Friday, September 27 (7:10 pm/FSKC &610 Sports): James Shields (12-9, 3.21) v. Chris Sale (2.97)
– In search of his 100th career win in his final start of the season
– Shields leads MLB with a 2.12 road ERA and second in wins at 9-3 away from home
Saturday, September 28 (6:10 pm/FSKC &610 Sports): Yordano Ventura (0-0, 1.59) v. Erik Johnson (2-2, 2.82)
– Ventura will make his final start of the season and third with KC while in search of win number one
– In both starts he’s pitched well enough to win going 5.2 innings twice, allowing just two runs
Sunday, September 29 (1:10 pm/FSKC &610 Sports): Bruce Chen (8-4, 3.31) v. Jose Quintana (9-6, 3.45)
– In his last four starts Bruce has alternated wins with his last start being a 4-0 defeat in Seattle
– Chen is 0-0 in two appearances this season with one start with a 4.22 ERA
2013 Results –
Chicago swept the last meeting between the teams last month outscoring KC 10-6. Kansas City lost the opener 2-0 than game two 5-2 and the finale 4-3. Ervin Santana, Guthrie and Luke Hochevar suffered defeats.
Fox Sports Kansas City brings you all four games between the two teams with Ryan Lefebvre and Rex Hudler on the broadcast. Joel Goldberg and Royals Hall of Famer Jeff Montgomery host Royals Live before and after the game. As always every game can be heard on the Royals Radio Network (610 Sports Radio in KC) Royals Hall of Famer/2007 Ford C. Frick Award winner Denny Matthews being joined in the booth by Steve Physioc and Steve Stewart.
2013 Schedule/Results v. White Sox – Series White Sox 8-7
April 1-4, US Cellular Field – Chicago took two-of-three games
May 3-5, Kauffman Stadium – Kansas City won two-of-three
June 21-23, Kauffman Stadium – Chicago retakes the overall series lead winning two-of-three
July 26-28, US Cellular Field – Royals swept the White Sox on the Southside
August 20-22, Kauffman Stadium – White Sox swept the Royals at the K to retake the season series
September 27-29, US Cellular Field
Game Notes –