Kansas City returns home after dropping three of five in their important series in Detroit against the division leading Tigers. KC is home for the next seven games against Chicago, Washington and a make-up game against Tampa Bay.
Series Preview –
The Royals dropped series to Miami and at Detroit last week going 3-5 in eight games. Chicago enters this series having won five of seven games, taking series against Detroit and Minnesota in addition to a road sweep in Minneapolis this past weekend.
Franchise Series History –
Chicago still holds the overall series lead at 353-331 after being swept at US Cellular Field last month. In Kansas City the numbers stand at 177-155 in the City of Fountains and 155-144 at Kauffman Stadium.
Probable Pitching Matchups –
Tuesday, August 20 (7:10 pm/FSKC &610 Sports): John Danks (2-10, 4.54) v. Ervin Santana (8-6, 3.19)
– Santana picked up a no-decision last week against Miami at home going six innings
– In his last 16 games versus Chicago he’s 5-5 with a 4.06 ERA but holding the White Sox to a .237 average
Wednesday, August 21 (7:10 pm/FSKC &610 Sports): Andre Rienzo (0-0, 3.70) v. Jeremy Guthrie (12-9, 4.15)
– Guthrie has lost back-to-back starts v. Boston and at Detroit which he’s allowed 23 hits going 6 and 7 innings in those starts
– Against the White Sox he’s 2-1, losing his last start on June 21 a game he went 2.1 innings giving up six runs
Thursday, August 22 (7:10 pm/FSKC &610 Sports): Jose Quintana (7-4, 3.66) v. James Shields (8-8, 3.19)
– Shields went seven strong innings in game two of Friday’s doubleheader in Detroit holding the Tigers scoreless and to three hits
– He’s evened his record going 4-1 in his last five starts defeating Chicago, Minnesota, Boston and Detroit, the lone loss was versus the Twins on August 6
2013 Results –
When the teams met in late July the Royals were in the middle of their nine game win streak and outscored the White Sox 10-3 during the sweep. Shields opened the series with a 5-1 victory which was followed by Wade Davis besting Chris Sale 1-0 and then Alex Gordon’s HR propelled KC to a 4-2 victory in 12 innings.
Fox Sports Kansas City brings you all four games between the two teams with Ryan Lefebvre and Rex Hudler on the broadcast. Joel Goldberg and Royals Hall of Famer Jeff Montgomery host Royals Live before and after the game. As always every game can be heard on the Royals Radio Network (610 Sports Radio in KC) Royals Hall of Famer/2007 Ford C. Frick Award winner Denny Matthews being joined in the booth by Steve Physioc and Steve Stewart.
2013 Schedule/Results v. White Sox – Series Royals 7-5
April 1-4, US Cellular Field – Chicago took two-of-three games
May 3-5, Kauffman Stadium – Kansas City won two-of-three
June 21-23, Kauffman Stadium – Chicago retakes the overall series lead winning two-of-three
July 26-28, US Cellular Field – Royals swept the White Sox on the Southside
August 20-22, Kauffman Stadium
September 27-29, US Cellular Field
Current AL Central and Wildcard Standings for August 20 –
GB = Games Back
AL Central: Detroit (73-51), Cleveland (67-58/6.5 GB), Kansas City (64-59/8.5 GB), Minnesota (54-69/18.5 GB), Chicago (49-74/23.5 GB)
Wildcard Standings (Top 2 make playoffs): Rays (71-52/+.5), Athletics (71-53/-), Orioles (67-57/4 GB), Indians (67-58/4.5 GB, Yankees (65-59/6 GB), Royals (64-59/6.5 GB), Mariners (57-67/14 GB), Blue Jays (57-68/14.5 GB), Angels (55-69/16 GB), Twins (54-69/16.5 GB), White Sox (49-74/21.5 GB), Astros (41-83/30 GB)
Game Notes –