Kansas City can’t dwell on the series loss to Miami which concluded the Royals homestand, as they head to Detroit for five crucial games this weekend. While just a quick road trip, this is a golden opportunity for KC to finally make-up some ground on the division leader who are 7.5 games in front of the boys in blue.
Series Preview –
Both teams have impressive post All-Star break winning streaks each team are 6-4 in their last 10 games. Detroit and Kansas City each dropped series to last place teams to start the week, the Royals will try to take a chunk out of the deficit they trail while the Tigers will look to add ground.
Franchise Series History –
Heading into this series Kansas City holds an advantage of 300-296 between the teams. Detroit though possesses a record of 156-142 in the Motor City and are 64-55 at Comerica Park against KC since moving in from Tigers Stadium.
Probable Pitching Matchups –
Thursday, August 15 (6:05 pm/FSKC &610 Sports): Jeremy Guthrie (12-8, 4.10) v. Anibal Sanchez (10-7, 2.58)
- Guthrie is 2-0 this season against Detroit and is 7-3 in his career against the Tigers
- He sports a 12-4 record with a 2.99 ERA against the AL Central division since joining KC
Friday, August 16 (12:05 pm/610 Sports): Danny Duffy (0-0, 4.91) v. Justin Verlander (12-8, 3.57) GAME 1
- Duffy makes his second start of the season after going just 3.2 innings on August 7 against Minnesota
- In his lone start he allowed two runs on seven hits but did strike out seven Twins
Friday, August 16 (6:05 pm/FSKC &610 Sports): James Shields (7-8, 3.33) v. Jose Alvarez (1-2, 5.03) GAME 2
- Shields will look to even his record, he’s 5-2 against Detroit with 3.56 ERA in 12 career starts
- He’s also 3-0 at Comerica Park with a 2.90 ERA (10 earned runs in 31 innings pitched)
Saturday, August 17 (6:10 pm/FSKC & 610 Sports): Wade Davis (6-9, 5.29) v. Doug Fister (10-6, 3.60)
- Davis went six innings picking up a win over Miami on Monday night allowing just two runs
- He’s 0-2 in two starts this season against the Tigers losing 7-5 (@DET) on April 11 and 3-2 on June 11 (KC)
Sunday, August 18 (1:10 pm/FSKC & 610 Sports): Bruce Chen (5-0, 1.62) v. Max Scherzer (17-1, 2.85)
- Chen took his second no-decision in his last three starts on Tuesday against Miami
- In his last two starts Bruce his gone 7.2 innings and seven innings with a 1-0 record
2013 Results –
These two foes haven’t met since last month in Kansas City and this is the first series in Detroit since April. When the teams met at Comerica one game was PPD which is why the five game series is taking place this weekend. Kansas City will return to the Motor City next month with one more series at the K in between.
Fox Sports Kansas City brings you all four games between the teams, Steve Physioc and Rex Hudler on the broadcast. Joel Goldberg and Royals Hall of Famer Jeff Montgomery host Royals Live before and after the game. As always every game can be heard on the Royals Radio Network (610 Sports Radio) Royals Hall of Famer/2007 Ford C. Frick Award winner Denny Matthews being joined in the booth by Ryan Lefebvre and Steve Stewart.
2013 Schedule/Results v. Tigers – Series Tied 5-3
April 23-25, Comerica Park – Teams split the series with Detroit winning game one, Kansas City game two
June 10-12, Kauffman Stadium – Kansas City took two-of-three with the final coming on a walkoff hit from Hosmer each game was 3-2
July 19-21, Kauffman Stadium – Royals took two of three games with Santana and Guthrie picking up wins and Shields taking the loss in the series finale
August 15-18, Comerica Park
September 6-8, Kauffman Stadium
September 13-15, Comerica Park
Current AL Central and Wildcard Standings for August 15 –
GB = Games Back
AL Central: Detroit (70-49), Cleveland (65-56/6 GB), Kansas City (62-56/7.5 GB), Minnesota (53-65/16.5 GB), Chicago (46-73/24 GB)
Wildcard Standings (Top 2 make playoffs): Rays (67-51/+.5), A’s (67-52/-),Orioles (65-55/2.5 GB), Indians (65-56/3 GB), Royals (62-56/4.5 GB), Yankees (62-57/5 GB), Mariners (55-64/12 GB), Blue Jays (55-66/12.5 GB), Twins (53-65/13.5 GB), Angels (53-66/14 GB), White Sox (46-73/21 GB), Astros (39-80/28 GB)
Game Notes –