Tonight the Royals continue the current home stand against the Orioles after taking two of three over the weekend against the Tigers. These two teams haven’t seen one another since May when the O’s took two games from KC.
Series Preview –
Baltimore has been on a tear dating back before the All-Star Game winning seven of their last 10 games and enter the series having swept the Rangers in Arlington over the weekend. Kansas City on the other hand took a series against division leading Detroit winning the first two before losing Sunday’s finale.
Franchise Series History –
All-time Baltimore leads the series 256 to 195, the Orioles are 118-107 in Kansas City including a 101-100 record at Kauffman Stadium. The Royals have won eight of the last 12 games (8-4) played in KC.
Probable Pitching Matchups –
Monday, July 22 7 (7:10 pm/FSKC &610 Sports): Scott Feldman (1-1, 5.79) v. Wade Davis (4-8, 5.89)
- Davis is making his first start since returning from the paternity list on July 11, he and his wife welcomed a daughter last week
- In his career Wade is 6-4 against the Orioles with a 3.92 ERA (34 earned runs in 78 innings pitched)
Tuesday, July 23 (7:10 pm/FSKC &610 Sports): Jason Hammel (7-6, 5.24) v. Bruce Chen (3-0, 2.04)
- Last time out Bruce took a no-decision in Cleveland going six innings, allowing one hit and holding the Indians scoreless
- Chen’s last win at the K came on May (1) Day against Tampa Bay which he threw two scoreless innings of relief
Wednesday, July 24 (7:10 pm/FSKC &610 Sports): Wei-Yin Chen (5-3, 2.67) v. Ervin Santana (6-6, 3.18)
- The “Magic Man” was impressive Friday night going seven innings, allowing two hits while holding the Tigers scoreless and striking out six
- This is Santana’s 13th career start against Baltimore which he’s 4-5 with a 5.36 ERA
Thursday, July 25 (7:10 pm/FSKC &610 Sports): Miguel Gonzalez (8-3, 3.34) v. Jeremy Guthrie (9-7, 4.41)
- Saturday night Guthrie picked up ninth win of 2013 against Detroit striking out six in six innings scattering 10 hits
- On May 9 he beat the O’s 6-2 and improving to 5-0 at the time going six innings while allowing two runs
2013 Results –
The two teams played a three game series May 7-9 in Baltimore at Oriole Park at Camden Yards which the O’s took two-of-three. Baltimore won the first two games 4-3 and 5-3 with Kansas City winning game three 6-2. Tim Collins and Luis Mendoza were handed defeats with Guthrie getting the lone win.
Fox Sports Kansas City brings you all four games between the two teams with Ryan Lefebvre and Rex Hudler on the broadcast. Joel Goldberg and Royals Hall of Famer Jeff Montgomery host Royals Live before and after the game from Rivals Sports Bar in right field. As always every game can be heard on the Royals Radio Network (610 Sports Radio in KC) Royals Hall of Famer/2007 Ford C. Frick Award winner Denny Matthews being joined in the booth by Steve Physioc and Steve Stewart.
2013 Schedule/Results v. Orioles – BAL 2-1
May 7-9, Oriole Park at Camden Yards – Baltimore won 4-3 and 5-3 with KC winning 6-2
July 22-25, Kauffman Stadium
Current AL Central and Wildcard Standings for July 22 –
GB = Games Back
AL Central: Detroit (53-44), Cleveland (52-46/1.5 GB), Kansas City (45-50/7 GB), Minnesota (41-54/11 GB), Chicago (39-56/13 GB)
AL East: Boston (60-40), Tampa Bay (58-41/1.5 GB), Baltimore (56-43/3.5 GB), New York (52-46/7 GB), Toronto (45-52/13.5 GB
Wildcard Standings (Top 2 make playoffs): Rays (58-41/+2), Orioles (56-43/-), Rangers (54-44/1.5 GB), Indians (52-46/3.5 GB), Yankees (52-46/3.5 GB), Angels (46-50/8.5 GB), Royals (45-50/9 GB), Mariners (46-52/9.5 GB), Blue Jays (45-52/10 GB), Twins (41-54/13 GB), White Sox (39-56/15 GB), Astros (33-64/22 GB)
Game Notes –