Kansas City (43-49) starts the second half of the season against the AL Central leading Detroit Tigers (52-42). KC headed into the All-Star Break on a five game losing streak dropping the last two at New York than getting swept at Cleveland.
Series Preview –
Jim Leyland’s club is 6-4 in their last 10 games they took two-of-three again Texas before the break in Detroit. The Royals will try to end a losing streak at the friendly confines of Kauffman Stadium where they had a .500 mark of 22-22 in the first half.
Probable Pitching Matchups –
Friday, July 19 (7:10 pm): Anibal Sanchez (7-6, 2.93) v. Ervin Santana (5-6, 3.37)
- Santana lost 6-5 at New York in his last time out which he only went five innings allowing eight runs
– Prior to that start he had a string of four straight no-decisions
Saturday, July 20 (6:10 pm): Justin Verlander (10-6, 3.50) v. James Shields (4-6, 3.21)
– Threw seven excellent innings in the Bronx and got run support in KC’s 3-1 win but took a no-decision his last time out at Cleveland on Sunday
– In his last nine starts he’s 2-0 with seven no-decisions
Sunday, July 21 (1:10 pm): Doug Fister (7-5, 4.02) v. Jeremy Guthrie (8-7, 4.25)
– Gurthrie had one bad inning Saturday at Cleveland as the Indians beat him 5-3 fueled by grand slam
– Snapped a string of three straight losses by beating the Yankees 8-6 on July 8
2013 Results –
The two teams have only played twice this season once in each city, the series in Detroit had a rainout which will be made up when Kansas City plays at Comerica next month. So far there’s been a split between the two in the first series then last month the Royals took the series from the Tigers at the K. In that series June 10-12 all three games were 3-2 score, KC won game one then lost before a walkoff win in 10 innings from Eric Hosmer.
All three games will be broadcasted on Fox Sports Kansas City with Royals Live with Joel Goldberg and Jeff Montgomery before and after the game. As always those unable to catch the games on TV can listen to the Royals Radio Network on 610 Sports Radio with Royals Hall of Famer/2007 Ford C. Frick Award winner Denny Matthews and Steve Stewart.
2013 Schedule/Results v. Tigers – Series Tied 3-2
April 23-25, Comerica Park – Teams split the series with Detroit winning game one, Kansas City game two
June 10-12, Kauffman Stadium – Kansas City took two-of-three with the final coming on a walkoff hit from Hosmer each game was 3-2
July 19-21, Kauffman Stadium
August 15-18, Comerica Park
September 6-8, Kauffman Stadium
September 13-15, Comerica Park