Kansas City will head into the All-Star break with seven games on the road starting with four in the Bronx Monday before heading to Cleveland. The Royals ended with a 22-22 record at home in the pre-ASG portion of the schedule and will try to improve on their 19-22 road mark. Here’s what you need to know about the Royals and Yankees series.
Series Preview –
The Yankees lost Sunday when Mariano Rivera blew the save giving up a two-run shot to All-Star Adam Jones. Prior to Sunday they had won six straight games winning four at Minnesota and the first two against Baltimore at Yankee Stadium. KC went 3-3 on the completed homestand against Cleveland and Oakland, which comes off the heels of splitting a four game series with the Twins in Minneapolis.
Click here for Mike Engel doing a series preview with the Yankees Go Yard podcast
Probable Pitching Matchups –
Monday, July 8 (6:05 pm): Jeremy Guthrie (7-6, 4.29) v. Phil Hughes (4-7, 4.33)
– Is 4-9 with a 5.05 ERA against the Yankees in 17 career outings (15 starts)
– On the road he’s 2-4 with a 4.31 ERA with his last road win coming on May 9 in Baltimore
Tuesday, July 9 (6:05 pm): James Shields (3-6, 3.23) v. CC Sabathia (9-6, 4.06)
– Faced New York earlier this season losing a 3-2 game in which he went eight innings
– In his career he’s 1-6 at the current Yankee Stadium with a 4.73 ERA
Wednesday, July 10 (6:05 pm): Wade Davis (4-7, 5.42) v. Ivan Nova (3-2, 4.09)
– Was the pitcher of record on May 10 losing 11-6 only going five innings, allowing seven runs
– He brings a 1-1 record with a 3.86 ERA in the Bronx making three career starts
Thursday, July 11 (12:05): Ervin Santana (5-5, 2.90) v. Andy Pettitte (6-6, 4.37)
– Got a no-decision Saturday against Oakland after throwing seven innings allowing three runs
– On May 12 he lost a 4-2 contest but went 6.1 innings, is 5-7 in his career versus New York
2013 Results –
When the two teams met in May the Yankees swept the Royals with 11-6, 3-2 and 4-2 victories. Davis, Shields and Santana were the three pitchers for KC during the series at the K. New York got wins from Hughes, Pettitte and Hiroki Kuroda with two saves from Rivera during the sweep. This will be Kansas City’s only trip to Yankee Stadium in 2013.
All four games will be on FSKC with three games starting at 6:05 pm central and the series finale at 12:05 pm, Ryan Lefebvre and Rex Hudler on the call. Royals Live will be a half hour before each game with Joel Goldberg hosting from the Bronx and will be joined by Royals Hall of Famer Jeff Montgomery. You can listen to each game on 610 Sports Radio with Steve Physioc and Steve Stewart on the call.
2013 Schedule/Results v. Yankees – NYY 3-0
May 10-12, Kauffman Stadium – Yankees swept the series with 11-6, 3-2 and 4-2 wins
July 8-11, Yankee Stadium
Game Notes –