Last night Alex Gordon had a big night in putting the first and last run on the board as Kansas City went 2-3 on the homestand. Next up is a four game trip to the land of a 1,000 lakes and Target Field. Here’s all you need to know about the Royals and Twins series.
Series Preview –
Kansas City has taken five of the first six meetings between the two teams but this will be the first meeting between the teams in Minneapolis. Since Target Field opened in 2010 the Royals are just 9-18 at the Twins new home. As mentioned KC has struggled coming into this series while Minnesota 4-4 in their last right but did lose two straight at Miami.
Probable Pitching Matchups –
Thursday, June 27 (7:10 pm): Jeremy Guthrie (7-5, 4.20) v. Sam Deduno (3-2, 3.72)
- In his career Guthrie is 6-2 against the Twins with a 3.36 ERA and 2-0 in his career at Target Field
- This season he’s 2-0 versus Minnesota with 7-4 and 4-1 wins
Friday, June 28 (7:10): James Shields (2-6, 2.92) v. P.J. Walters (2-3, 4.88)
- Big Game James is third in the AL with 111 innings thrown and eighth in ERA at 2.92
- Looking for his first win since April 30 against the Rays which is 10 starts
Saturday, June 29 (3:10): Wade Davis (4-5, 4.96) v. Kyle Gibson (MLB Debut)
- Davis is 1-0 against Minnesota this season having defeated them on April 10
- Took a no-decision in his last start against Chicago on June 22 throwing seven innings
Sunday, June 30 (1:10): Ervin Santana (5-5, 2.74) v. Kevin Correia (6-5, 3.82)
- Winless in his last two starts getting no-decisions at Cleveland and Tuesday versus Atlanta
- Has thrown at least six innings in every start since coming over from Los Angeles in the offseason
2013 Results –
After six straight to begin the season series at the K, these two teams will now play 10 of the last 13 against one another in the Twin Cities including the next seven. In April when the teams first met the Royals won 3-1, 7-4 and 3-0 with wins from Santana, Guthrie and Davis. Earlier this month the boys in blue won two of three with Deduno getting the game one win 3-0 but KC bounced back with 4-1 and 7-3 wins with Guthrie and Collins getting W’s.
Three of the four games (no FSKC on Saturday) are on Fox Sports Kansas City with Ryan Lefebvre and Rex Hudler handing the call while Joel Goldberg hosting Royals Live pre/postgame shows. Fans can also listen to all four games on 610 Sports Radio with Royals Hall of Famer/2007 Ford C. Frick Award winner Denny Matthews, Steve Physioc and Steve Stewart.
2013 Schedule v. Twins – KC 5-1
April 8-10, Kauffman Stadium – Royals swept the series with 3-1, 7-4 and 3-1 wins
June 4-6, Kauffman Stadium – Royals won 2-of-3 after losing opener 3-0 but won 4-1 and 7-3
June 27-30, Target Field
July 30-31 and August 1, Target Field
August 5-7, Kauffman Stadium
August 27-29, Target Field
Game Notes –
Topics: Kansas City Royals