After a sweep of the Houston Astros the Royals look to extend their five game winning streak against the division leading Detroit Tigers. The current streak is the longest since September 10-17, 2011 which was seven games in a row.
Series Preview –
Kansas City and Detroit haven’t played one another since a three game series April 23-25 which due to the opener being rained out made it a two game series. The Tigers are also hot having won 7-of-8 including four straight.
Probable Pitching Matchups –
Monday, June 10 (7:10 pm): Doug Fister (5-3, 3.27) v. Jeremy Guthrie (6-3, 3.66)
- Last Wednesday Guthrie snapped a five start winless streak
– This is his first start in 2013 against Detroit and 12th of his career
Tuesday, June 11 (7:10 pm): Max Scherzer (8-0, 3.24) v. Wade Davis (3-5, 5.66)
– Davis took another no-decision last week in the Minnesota series in which KC won 7-3 after rallying
– In 35 career outings Wade is 9-4 against the AL Central
Wednesday, June 12 (1:10 pm): Justin Verlander (8-4, 3.71) v. James Shields (2-6, 2.81)
– Shields again pitched well enough to win on Friday against Houston but still is in search of a win
– His stat line was another seven inning start which he allowed two runs and struck out six
2013 Results –
These two met back in April but only got two games in due to wet weather in Detroit. Missouri product Scherzer defeated Davis 7-5 in the first game but in game two KC won 8-3 in 10 innings highlighted by Alex Gordon’s grandslam.
Monday and Tuesday’s games are on Fox Sports Kansas City with no TV on Wednesday afternoon, Ryan Lefebvre and Rex Hudler will have the call with Joel Goldberg hosting the pre/postgame show with Royals Hall of Famer Jeff Montgomery. All three games can be heard on 610 Sports Radio with Hall of Famer/2007 Ford C. Frick Award winner Denny Matthews and Steve Physioc plus Steve Stewart.
2013 Schedule/Results v. Tigers – Series Tied 1-1
April 23-25, Comerica Park – Teams split the series with Detroit winning game one, Kansas City game two
June 10-12, Kauffman Stadium
July 19-21, Kauffman Stadium
August 15-18, Comerica Park
September 6-8, Kauffman Stadium
September 13-15, Comerica Park