After taking two-of-three from the Angels the Royals head up the coast for the second leg of the current nine game road trip. This is the first of two times the teams will see one another with a three game series at the K in July.
Series Preview –
The Royals alternated wins in Anaheim while taking the series against the Halos and are 20-17 this season. Oakland is finishing a six game home stand which began with dropping two-of-three against Texas earlier this week.
Probable Pitching Matchups –
Friday, May 17 (9:07 pm): James Shields (2-3, 3.04) v. Jarrod Parker (2-5, 6.39)
- Shields is coming off a tough loss last Saturday against the Yankees at the K
- His career record against the A’s is 5-3 with a 4.08 ERA and is 2-2 in Oakland
Saturday, May 18 (8:07 pm): Ervin Santana (3-2, 2.79) v. Tommy Milone (3-5, 3.71)
- Santana is sitting on 99 careers wins
- In his career he’s 6-1 at the Coliseum with a 2.08 ERA in 12 outings (10 starts)
Sunday, May 19 (3:07 pm): Luis Mendoza (1-2, 6.00) v. A.J. Griffin (4-3, 3.48)
- Last time out Mendoza picked up his first win of 2013 at Los Angeles
- The Dozer went six innings for the third time this season on Monday while striking out six Angels
2012 Results –
Kansas City won the season series 5-4 against Oakland in 2012 in what was a close series, KC outscored the A’s 22-20 in nine meetings. The Athletics held a 2-1 lead when the teams played at the Coliseum in the lone trip the Royals made to the Bay Area both losses were by a run. Fans will remember the series finale going 12 innings and Jonathan Broxton being unable to protect the lead.
All three games are on Fox Sports Kansas City with Ryan Lefebvre and Rex Hudler on the call with Joel Goldberg hosting the pre and post game. On 610 Sports Radio will be Steve Physioc and Steve Stewart.
2013 Schedule v. Athletics –
May 17-19, Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum
July 5-7, Kauffman Stadium
Team Game Notes –