After trips through Atlanta and Boston, the Royals enter Comerica Park with a 10-7 overall record plus 3-2 on this eight game journey. The Tigers are 9-9 after completing a 4-5 west coast swing through Oakland, Seattle and Anaheim including losing their last four games.
Series Preview –
This will be Kansas City’s first trip to the Motor City and third series against the AL Central during the 2013 season. It also kicks off a string of seven straight divisional games as KC hosts Cleveland after completing this road trip. Last season Detroit dominated the Royals with a 13-5 record.
Probable Pitching Matchups –
Tuesday, April 23 (6:05 pm): Wade Davis (2-0, 2.25) v. Max Scherzer (1-0, 2.84)
– After a season opening no decision in Philadelphia, Davis has wins over Minnesota and at Atlanta
– In his last outing he helped end the Braves 10 game winning streak being on the right side of a 1-0 decision
Wednesday, April 24 (6:05 pm): Luis Mendoza (0-1, 6.17) v. Justin Verlander (2-2, 2.13)
– When last we saw the Dozer he was on the wrong side of a 6-4 decision against Toronto
– Mendoza was skipped his last time in the rotation due to the amount of Royals off days last week
Thursday, April (12:05 pm): James Shields (1-2, 3.00) v. Anibal Sanchez (2-1, 1.75)
– While not factoring in the decision Saturday in Boston, Big Game James again provided another quality start going six innings allowing just one run
– Shields is looking to reverse his road record as he’s 0-1 with a no decision which game in his last start at Fenway
2012 Results –
Last season KC was 5-13 against Detroit as the Tigers outscored the Royals 76-51 in the eighteen games played. The 51 runs were the fewest runs scored against central division foe in 2012.
Tuesday and Wednesday games are on Fox Sports Kansas City with no TV on Thursday afternoon. 610 Sports Radio will have you covered for all three games if you’re not by a television.
2013 Schedule v. Tigers –
April 23-25, Comerica Park
June 10-12, Kauffman Stadium
July 19-21, Kauffman Stadium
August 15-18, Comerica Park
September 6-8, Kauffman Stadium
September 13-15, Comerica Park