The Royals (70-82) head out for their last road trip of 2012 when they play at Detroit and Cleveland this week. First is a four-game trip at the second place team in the AL Central the Detroit Tigers (80-72) with three night games and the series finale Thursday afternoon at Comerica Park.
When Last We Saw …
August 28-30 was the last time these teams faced one another which was a Kansas City sweep at the K. The Royals won three one-run games against Detroit by scores of 9-8, 1-0 and 2-1, before that series KC was 1-7 against the Tigers. Aaron Crow, Bruce Chen and Jeremy Guthrie picked up decisions over the sweep.
Season Series …
Following last month’s sweep the season series is now 7-4 in favor of Detroit and over the final two weeks the teams meet seven more times. Kansas City could play an important role in who wins the AL Central crown.
In the series opener of the last series Justin Verlander faced Luis Mendoza in a high scoring contest. The Royals touched Verlander for eight runs on 12-hits over 5.2 innings of work. Detroit fought back to tie the game up but in the bottom of the eighth inning Mike Moustakas doubled in Lorenzo Cain for a 9-8 victory.
Game two was a match-up between Anibal Sanchez and Bruce Chen who both went seven plus innings each with a quality starts. Chen held the Tigers scoreless over eight innings allowing just four hits and striking out four. Eric Hosmer drove in the only run in the fourth on a pop fly that brought in Moustakas.
Rick Porcello went up against Jeremy Guthrie in the finale which wound up being another pitcher’s duel. The Royals chased out Porcello after five innings scoring two-runs on eight hits, Guthrie went 7.1 innings allowing one run while scattering 10 hits.
Johnny Giavotella drove in the first run and Alex Gordon scored the second on his 10th home run of the season. Worth noting Greg Holland saved the first two games of this series with Kelvin Herrera notching the save in game three.
4/16 – Tigers 3 @ Royals 2
4/17 – Tigers 3 @ Royals 1
4/18 – Tigers 4 @ Royals 3
4/30 – PPD
5/1 – Royals 3 @ Tigers 9
5/2 – Royals 3 @ Tigers 2
7/6 – Royals 2 @ Tigers 4
7/7 – Royals 7 @ Tigers 8
7/8 – Royals 1 @ Tigers 7
8/28 – Tigers 8 @ Royals 9
8/29 – Tigers 0 @ Royals 1
8/30 – Tigers 1 @ Royals 2
Probable Pitching Match-Ups (All Times Central):
Monday, 6:05 pm – Luke Hochevar (8-14, 5.40) v. Justin Verlander (15-8, 2.74)
- Against Detroit Hochevar is 0-1 this season losing 9-3 on May 1st
– Tonight Luke will tie his career high making his 31st start of the season which he also did in 2011
– Verlander is 1-0 with a no-decision against KC this season
Tuesday, 6:05 pm – Bruce Chen (11-12, 5.22) v. Anibal Sanchez (3-6, 4.55*)
- Chen is 1-2 versus the Tigers in 2012
– This will be his third start at Comerica Park where he’s 0-2 with 3-1 and 8-7 defeats this year
– Sanchez is making his third start against KC since being acquired from Miami, he’s 1-1 against the Royals
Wednesday, 6:05 pm – Jeremy Guthrie (4-3, 3.00*) v. Rick Porcello (9-12, 4.57)
– This is a rematch of Aug 30 when Guthrie outduel Porcello 2-1 at the K
– Guthrie is coming off a no-decision against the White Sox on Thursday which the Royals won on a walkoff hit by Hosmer. He went six innings allowing one-run on eight hits.
– Porcello is 1-1 this season against KC
Thursday, 12:05 pm – Luis Mendoza (8-9, 4.44) v. Doug Fister (10-9, 3.43)
– Mendoza is coming off a 6-3 win Friday night against the Indians
– This will be the Dozer’s first start in Detroit
– Fister got the decision on July 7 against Chen in the Tigers 8-7 win
* – Stats since joining the Royals/Tigers