The Major League season may be winding down, but baseball rolls on. In addition to the fall Instructional League and the Arizona Fall League, baseball is also underway in the Caribbean. Part I covered the Royals’ players that were on teams in the Venezuelan Winter League. Part II will now cover the KC players on rosters in the Dominican Winter League which got underway on October 16th.
Dominican Winter League:
- RHP-Juan Abreu (24) [Aguilas Cibaenas]: Signed by the Royals out of the Dominican in 2003, Abreu was tabbed as the Royals 25th best prospect heading into the 2009 season. He started out the year in Wilmington and threw 21.1 IP with a 1.69 ERA, 1.031 WHIP, 8 H, 14 BB, 28 SO, and 12 SV. On July 20th he joined the NW Arkansas bullpen and finished the season in Double-A with a 5.75 ERA, 2.016 WHIP, 19 H, 22 BB, 25 SO and 4 SV in 20.1 IP. Control has always been the concern for Abreu, and his promotion to the Naturals yielded 9.7 BB/9. On the positive, he has a live power arm with the ability to miss bats and limit solid contact. Both his H/9 and SO/9 stayed very strong against Double-A competition despite his control issues. He has pitched one clean inning thus far in DWL action.
- RHP-Manauris Baez (24) [Estrellas de Oriente]: Manauris was signed by the Yankees out of the Dominican on February 2nd, 2006. After not playing in 2007, the Royals signed him as a free agent prior to the 2008 season. Baez spent the 2009 season pitching both as a starter and reliever for the Burlington Bees in low-A ball. He finished the season with a 3.41 ERA, 1.394 WHIP, 136 H, 48 BB, and 85 SO in 132.0 innings pitched. The ERA was good and the BB/9 was decent. The H/9 and SO/9 were less than desirable from a guy who was pitching against younger competition, but he has only pitched professionally for two seasons.
- SS-Juan Rivera (22) [Estrellas de Oriente]: Rivera was signed by the Dodgers out of the Dominican on July 21st, 2003. He was traded, with cash, to the Royals on June 6, 2008 in exchange for Angel Berroa. Juan spent the 2009 season with the Burlington Bees and hit 0.229/.258/.305 with 1 HR, 7 SB, 5 BB, and 26 SO in 118 AB.
- RHP-Carlos Rosa (25) [Gigantes del Cibao]: Rosa was signed by the Royals out of the Dominican back in 2001. He entered the year as the Royals 8th best prospect according to BA. Carlos started the year in the Omaha bullpen and pitched 71.0 innings with a 4.56 ERA, 1.423 WHIP, 69 H, 32 BB, and 80 SO before earning a September callup. With the Royals he pitched 10.2 innings with a 3.38 ERA, 1.143 WHIP, 13 H, 3 BB, and 7 SO. He should have a spot in the Royals 2010 bullpen already locked up.
- RHP-Juan Cruz (31) [Tigres del Licey]: Cruz was signed by the Royals on February 28th of this year and figured to strengthen a solid bullpen. Instead the wheels came off for Cruz as his 5.72 ERA and 1.490 WHIP in 50.1 IP suggest. His 6.8 SO/9 was the lowest in his 8 ML season and well below his career mark of 9.1. He didn’t look like the same pitcher we saw in 2007 and 2008 at any point during the season.
- RHP-Eduardo Paulino (24) [Tigres del Licey]: The Royals signed Paulino out of the Dominican on February 17th, 2006. He spent most of the 2009 season in the Wilmington rotation posting a 3.63 ERA, 1.212 WHIP, 129 H, 39 BB, and 84 SO in 138.2 innings pitched. He pitched a clean 0.2 innings on Sunday.
- RHP-Riquy Pena (24) [Toros del Este]: Pena was signed by the Rockies out of the Dominican on February 25th, 2002. He pitched out of the bullpen for the Burlington Bees in 2009. In 41.1 IP he had a 4.35 ERA, 1.452 WHIP, 27 H, 33 BB, and 32 SO.
- RHP-Julio Cesar Pimentel (23) [Toros del Este]: Pimentel was signed out of the Dominican by the Dodgers on July 14th, 2003. He joined the Royals along with Odalis Perez and Blake Johnson when Elmer Dessens was traded to Los Angeles. He did not pitch this season after a less than impressive campaign in 2008 for the Naturals.
- RHP-Robinson Tejeda (27) [Toros del Este]: Tejeda was selected off waivers from the Rangers on June 24th, 2008. In 2009 he pitched 73.2 innings with a 3.54 ERA, 1.262 WHIP, 43 H, 50 BB, and 87 SO for the Royals. In his first DWL start he threw 2.0 innings while allowing 1 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, and 1 SO.
- 3B-Antonio Jimenez (22) [Toros del Este]: Jimenez was signed by the Royals out of the Dominican on May 18th, 2005. He played for both the Blue Rocks and Bees during the 2009 season. With the Bees he hit 0.218/.230/.230 with 2 BB and 49 SO in 197 AB. 49 SO to 2 BB makes even Miguel Olivo proud! He did his best TPJ impression with the Blue Rocks hitting 0.087/.160/.087 with 1 BB and 6 SO in 23 AB.
3B edition of Royals Seasons is coming soon, but until then, have a great night!
Topics: AL Central, Antonio Jimenez, Baseball, Carlos Rosa, Eduardo Paulino, Juan Abreu, Juan Cruz, Juan Pinera, Julio Cesar Pimentel, Kansas City Royals, KC, Manauris Baez, MLB, Riquy Pena, Robinson Tejeda